What is a vegan bag?
A vegan bag is an environmentally-friendly option for your handbag or purse. The vegan bag incorporates all the features that you would find in a leather bag, but is built with synthetic materials like polyester, cotton, nylon, and so on. Manufacturers of vegan bags will often use tanned synthetics instead of tanned leather. Vegan bags are produced using no environmentally hazardous materials or processes.
How do they compare to traditional leather bags?
The main difference between a vegan bag and traditional leather bags is that the vegan bag does not harm animals by using animal products like hair, skin, or bone. While there are some fabrics for these types of bags that can come from animals (such as wool), most vegan bags do not. Many vegan bags also use artificial materials like plastic or vinyl, so they are often water resistant and can be washed.
Another difference between the bags is how people care for them. A traditional leather bag becomes more beautiful over time by developing scuff marks, scratches, stains, dirt, and other signs of wear which add to its character. Vegan bags do not wear in quite the same way because they are not made of leather or other skin products, but some manufacturers create vegan bags that look like leather by using synthetic resins (plastic) to make them shiny and glossy.
What types of materials are used?
Vegan bags are often made with synthetic materials like polyester, vinyl, and cotton. Many vegan bags are water resistant as well as washable with a damp cloth or hand-wash cycle. There is some debate about whether or not these types of materials offer the same quality and durability as leather, but they do mimic leather and look sleek and stylish on their own (without looking like fake leather).
What is the history of vegan bags?
Vegan bags have been around for a long time. In fact, there were many vegan handbags and purses before mainstream fashion had ever even heard of such things (before the term ‘vegan’ was coined in 1944 by Donald Watson)! Vegan bags were first created with non-animal materials, but the term only exploded into mainstream culture in recent decades. In fact, it is estimated that one in every twenty people on earth today has adopted a vegan lifestyle and given up animal products altogether.
While some vegan handbags look like traditional leather bags with a distinct synthetic appearance, many have an innovative design of their own which does stand out from the rest. Vegan bags offer an environmentally friendly option, which is why many people who care about the earth and also care about their fashion will choose vegan bags over traditional leather options.
The benefits of choosing a vegan bag over leather bags
The benefits of choosing a vegan bag over leather bags depend on what you are looking for. One major benefit of vegan bags is that they do not harm animals. This is not only the case with the animal products used to build the bags, but also in how they are made. Often, synthetic materials are used instead of animal products so there will be no concern about animal cruelty. Vegan bags are also water resistant and washable which means that you can take care of them without risking any damage to the environment or your health.
Traditional leather bags come with many benefits as well, but they also come with some significant disadvantages. For one thing, people often find these types of handbags more durable than their vegan counterparts because they develop scuff marks, scratches, and stains over time. This means that the more you use them the better they look! Vegan bags are not very good at developing scuff marks or other signs of wear because they are made with non-animal products which do not age in the same way.
Another difference between traditional leather bags and vegan handbags is how easy they are to take care of. Whereas traditional leather bags can be damaged with water, vegan bags are typically insulated in such a way that they do not become wet if exposed to moisture. Vegan bags can also be washed by hand without damaging them; you simply need to use cold water and mild soap (which makes them better for the environment).
Traditional leather bags are also very difficult to maintain because they have a tendency to get dirty. Leather is porous, so it will soak up dirt and stains over time which makes vegan handbags more suitable for everyday use.
There are many benefits of choosing vegan handbags over traditional leather bags, but some people prefer leather options for various reasons. The biggest disadvantages of vegan handbags include their lack of durability and their tendency to get wet. If you are looking for a bag that will hold its own over the years, then leather may be a better option for you. All in all, there is no ‘right’ answer when it comes to choosing vegan bags or traditional leather bags; it really depends on your own personal preferences and what you are looking for in a bag.
Vegan handbags are practical, earth-friendly, stylish, and chic. Fashionistas everywhere can help take care of the environment while still having access to one of the most luxurious styles around; it’s no wonder that vegan bags have become increasingly popular!
Tips for caring for your new eco-friendly handbag
Although it doesn’t sound like much, caring for your vegan handbag is actually crucial if you want to protect the environment and maintain its aesthetic appearance.
Don’t just toss it into your closet or drawer with all of your other clothing! Instead, follow these steps to store and clean your bag.
1. Immediately remove any dust or debris from the exterior of the bag by wiping it with a damp cloth. If dirt has accumulated, use a detergent-free soap solution to wipe the exterior instead.
2. Locate a storage space in an area where moderate temperatures are found (or cooler) and make sure that there is no contact between the bag and the floor.
3. Make sure that the bag is completely dry before you place it in storage; if it does get wet, make sure that water has been blotted with a towel and it is left to sit until it dries naturally (which may take up to 24 hours).
4. Store your vegan handbag in an area where there is little humidity and no contact with sunlight.
5. If you are expecting to use the bag in the near future, be sure that it has been properly cleaned beforehand! Store your handbag in an area where it will not come into contact with water or moisture if you plan on using it soon.
6. Make sure that your handbag has sufficient ventilation when it is in storage.
7. Consider using a dust bag to protect the exterior of the bag while providing it with adequate ventilation, usually this type of accessory comes with vegan handbags but if yours did not come with one you can buy them online relatively easily!
8. If you are absolutely certain that your vegan bag will not be used for a long period of time, consider using a cedar block – this is an inexpensive and natural accessory which can help preserve your handbag and keep it free from moths and other insects.
9. Be sure that the handles on your vegan bags are wrapped in fabric or leather to avoid direct contact with surfaces.
A list of some of the best brands to buy from if you’re looking for a stylish, sustainable option!
4. Tory Burch
5. Emma Hardie
8. Quarry by Lifestyle Outlet
10. Blauer USA
11. Forever New
12. Belstaff Leather Collection
13. Guess Accessory Collection